Monday, September 1, 2008

Pat's Challenge

Since I had a three day weekend, I got to work on Pat's Challenge, thus getting it in a little earlier then normal. I'm usually just making the deadline on Wednesday night. About 3 weeks ago, My DH and myself (with a lot of help from a very special friend, Carolyn) had a surprise 40th anniversary for a couple. Well it was a surprise for her but I had to tell her husband. I decided this early Friday morning, which was just the day before the surprise. I did this after finding out on Friday night, when they were having dinner at my house, that he had a surprise for her, in the form of a new ring. Also the conversation at the table Thursday night, turned to my sister's 40th anniversary vow renewal and reception. My friend made the comment that she wished she had planned something like that. So got busy Friday morning, contacted her husband, a preacher a singer, and about 19 other people. Carolyn got the cake and picked up the flowers and all the other errands, while I was at work. On Saturday, I got stuff for the punch, made her bouquet and head piece. While my DH and myself took the couple out to eat, Carolyn and Becky came over and sit up the tables on my front porch and got all the food ready. I invited the couple back to my house for dessert, and when we walked in they all were hiding and then my husband turned on the lights and they yelled surprise. They had hid all the cars at my neighbors home. She was overwhelmed, but then when her husband told her that they were also going to renew their vows, she was actually speechless.
OK now to the challenge. Pat said "So how would you frame or display a special picture?? That, ladies, is tonight's challenge!! " After seeing her sample I knew there was no way, I could come up with anything as good as she had shown us. Making a quick trip to Big Lots on Saturday to get some odds and ends, I turned down the candle aisle which was a shortcut to the register. This candle holder was on a shelf sitting all to itself. Guess it was waiting on me. This is my answer to Pat's Challenge. Sorry for the length of post and so many pictures.


This turned out to be really a simple challenge. Plus I have what I think is a pretty momento of "their night" to give to them for a gift. All I had to do is take the little candle and it's frame off the candle holder and make a template to cut the photos by. After cutting the photos out using the template I inserted the photos down inside the holder, put the top back on, put one of those little battery operated tea lights down in it, and put a few embellishments on it. Sorry the photos aren't real clear, the reflection off of the glass messed with them. Again thanks Carolyn and Becky.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great job, and I liked the explanation of how you arrived at the pictures. This will make a great gift for them. You never cease to amazie me.*

Anonymous said...

Fantastic job!!

Corina said...

so unique!! What a great gift idea too!

Shelly said...

Love your new photo display! Wonderful job!

Robyn said...

So creative! I love it!

Jen D. said...

Awesome job Shelia! Clever & a great momento of the evening. For the life of me I just couldn't come up with anything this week.