Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Summer Storm

Our temps have been in the high 90's here in the foothills of NC, and the humidity is terrible. I do think about the people that don't have A/C in their homes, and all the outside workers. This will take it's toll on their health. We had what I call a Summer storm last night. We had ground to cloud lightning for about 2 hours. I sit out in my sun room, and enjoyed nature's true fireworks. I have to admit, I like storms, I think of it as God reminding us that he is the one still in control, not us. Our power was off for 5 hours, so I just sit and watched the display. I could hear sirens and alarms going off every where and was sad for those people. Coming to work the streets were littered with leaves and branches, and I could hear a chain saw at day break. But this is the reason I didn't get any handiwork finished last night to post, I didn't want to do it by candle light. They are calling for a chance of more this evening also. We do need the rain associated with them. We are I believe they said 14" short on rainfall already going into the summer. They will probably put water regulations again soon, no watering lawns, and car washing, trying to reserve what we have. Hope everyone has a good day. Make sure and go to Pat's page and try to figure out what that is she has a picture of?? I have no clue myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too love a summer storm, my dad taught me not to be afraid. The light show at night is awesome. Glad someone else likes them.*

Anonymous said...

I love storms, too! Growing up I would sit on the front porch and watch them - drove my poor Mom crazy. She just knew I was going to be "fried" by the lightning!

Anonymous said...

Volunteering for an 18th century historical home as a docent (tour guide) you learn about the living in the 1700 and 1800's. Did you know they only took two formal baths a year. Most of the time they went to the creek or river to bath. Can you imagine!! Yuck! But remember, back in those days..they didn't have global warming and the high humitity. Most of the time the temps were in the 80's. Formal baths were taken in late May or early June. That where you get June Brides. I don't like storms, because my son plays baseball all summer and those storms are unpredicatble.

Anonymous said...

The other bath was taken around fall season...